This information sheet is published by the DfT to help advise haulage companies and hauliers what all drivers from the UK may need to do to drive in the EU and EEA when the UK leaves the EU on 12 April 2019
UK hauliers operating in EU countries will be required to register certain commercial trailers and/or require new travel documents following EU Exit.
The Government is confident of securing an agreement with the EU which maintains the current, liberalised access the UK currently enjoys. However, we continue to prepare for all scenarios and have prepared advice for all possible outcomes.

New Requirements for Registration of Commercial Trailers
In all scenarios (including a deal and a no deal), there are new requirements for the separate registration of commercial trailers from 28 March 2019

New Requirements for Documents You Will Need to Drive in the EU
In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you will need an International Driving Permit (IDP) in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
In the event that there is no EU Exit deal and the UK and EU reach no separate agreement, drivers of UK registered vehicles will need to carry a motor insurance Green Card when driving in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.
You will need a GB sticker even if your vehicle has a Euro-plate; a number plate displaying both the EU flag and a GB sign

Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
If you’re working for a company based in the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, you’ll need a Driver CPC issued by one of these countries. Until the UK leaves the EU, drivers can exchange their UK Driver CPC for an EU Driver CPC. 

Stay Informed
Act now. Visit for the latest information and to sign up for email alerts.
Visit for a complete checklist of the documents that haulage drivers must carry to pass through customs if the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 12 April 2019.

Published by the DfT